Union Street Players, Pella’s award-winning community theatre, enjoyed a gorgeous summer evening at West Market Park on Monday. We gathered for a family potluck picnic to celebrate a successful 2012-2013 and to elect officers to serve in 2013-2014. USP’s fiscal year runs from Sep 1 through August 31 of each calendar year and an annual meeting is held each August to sign-up members for the coming year and for the annual election of officers.
President, Tom Vander Well shared a recap of this past year which included:
- Our 25th Anniversary season celebration last September at the Pella Opera House.
- Two very successful productions: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Bye Bye Birdie.
- Our productions had several finalists for awards from the Iowa Community Theater Association and Pat Van Zante was awarded for Outstanding Costumes in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
- We brought in an increasing number of advertising in our programs and raised a record amount of advertising revenue.
- Thanks to a fund raising campaign to replace the curtains on the Joan Kuyper Farver Auditorium we brought in a record amount of patron income.
- USP worked with the City of Pella and invested nearly $10,000 to make improvements to the Joan Kuyper Farver Auditorium in the Pella Community Center including new stage curtains, a new sound board which replaced one which was damaged by a lightning strike, and a new lighting computer, mixing board, and software.
- In cooperation with Pella Shakespeare Company, USP gave $1000 along with the voice talent of several members to help Pella Hospice create an audiobook version of The Four Things That Matter Most by Ira Byock. The audiobooks will be given away to Hospice patients and their families.
- USP held acting and directing workshops for local adults free of charge.
- Our fourth annual Act Up ! Drama Camp was our most successful ever with a record number of youth (K-8) involved in the week long introduction to theatre.
The Board of Directors for 2013-2014 are:
President: Tom Vander Well
Vice-President: Denise Gregory
Secretary: Anne McCullough-Kelly
Treasurer: Wendy Vander Well
At-Large: Mat Kelly
At-Large: Deb Linn
At-Large: Mark Schaefer